In case you haven't seen John Hollinger's latest power rankings, (I'm assuming none of you follow him) here is a snap shot of them today. No, I didn't photoshop my beloved Jazz to the top, they are really there. Hollinger is a statistician (maybe why I like him) and he has develped an intense formula that evaluates all 30 teams. This model incoperats scoring margin, strength of schedule, adjusts for home and road games, and recent performance. That's it. It doesn't go into the dramatic detail of injuries, refs, or ridiculous bias of LA, Cavs, and Boston. That said, the Jazz are hot right now and have beat some big teams recently: Suns, Spurs, Cavs, Heat, Mavs, and Memphis (considered the hottest team in the NBA right now). Anyway, I am enjoying my stats class and that will probably stick as my major. That might be why I'm a bit obsessed over Hollinger's method of assessing the best team in the NBA, especially when its my UTAH JAZZ!!
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Who dat say dat we ain't #1!!!
In case you haven't seen John Hollinger's latest power rankings, (I'm assuming none of you follow him) here is a snap shot of them today. No, I didn't photoshop my beloved Jazz to the top, they are really there. Hollinger is a statistician (maybe why I like him) and he has develped an intense formula that evaluates all 30 teams. This model incoperats scoring margin, strength of schedule, adjusts for home and road games, and recent performance. That's it. It doesn't go into the dramatic detail of injuries, refs, or ridiculous bias of LA, Cavs, and Boston. That said, the Jazz are hot right now and have beat some big teams recently: Suns, Spurs, Cavs, Heat, Mavs, and Memphis (considered the hottest team in the NBA right now). Anyway, I am enjoying my stats class and that will probably stick as my major. That might be why I'm a bit obsessed over Hollinger's method of assessing the best team in the NBA, especially when its my UTAH JAZZ!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
the only thing that comes to mind is "lies, damned lies, and statistics." Nonetheless, Go Jazz!
Post a Comment