Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fish Creek - a retrospective

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~ Babylonian Proverb

I fish because I love to .  .  . because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience .  .  . because only in the woods can one find solitude without loneliness; . . . not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant--and not nearly so much fun.
~ Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman (1964)

Lunch on Broadway, complete with finger on lens

Where's the gaff?
Big bait, big fish ...

Big tree, big pine cones ...

Left-handed magic, in memory of Dad B

2 comments:

dcb said...

Life's too short to miss these trips! Glad you all had such a great time. I'll see what I can do about getting in on the next trip once I'm out of school.

Mary B said...

As quoted by President Monson, Harold Hill cautioned, “You pile up enough tomorrows, and you’ll find you’ve collected a lot of empty yesterdays.”
What a sweet trip is was and how that finger also seemed to cover part of the lens. Weird, as it's only the pictures that Matt and I are both in.